In July of 1948 Bishop Malloy established St.
Louis de Montfort as a mission of Infant Jesus Parish, Port Jefferson.
Fr. Floyd J. Marieau, S.M.M., Pastor, celebrated Mass in the upstairs
room of the Community House in Sound Beach. Soon the congregation
grew so large that the location had to be moved. For the next
four years, Mass was celebrated in Boyle’s (later re-named
the Heartlin Inn).
In 1951 a ten-acre site on New York Avenue was
acquired and in the following year the little wooden frame church
was built. The Daughters of Wisdom founded a convent in Scott’s
Beach in 1956 to be used as a retirement home for their aged sisters.
They continue to be a powerhouse of prayer for our parish.
During the next eighteen years, St. Louis de Montfort prospered
under the dedicated care and service of the Montfort Fathers. The
community grew together in Christ, but everyone longed and prayed
for the day when this little mission would be a parish with a resident
In November 1971 Bishop Walter P. Kellenberg
elevated the mission of St. Louis de Montfort to the status of
parish and assigned a pastor. The installation ceremony was held
on November 3, 1971 and St. Louis became a parish and received
its founding pastor, Fr. John A. McGuire. He asked for the first
the good news?” That was not the last time that question
was asked in our church!
The good news spread. The number of parishioners attending Masses
became so large that soon St. Louis outgrew the little white church.
Masses were held in neighboring restaurants, a movie house, the
MOD Recreation Center and a tent! Under the direction of Monsignor
McGuire, the parishioners continued to pray, celebrate sacraments
and work together. In April 1978 the new church was dedicated. The
cross, overlooking New York Avenue, is the only remnant of the little
white church which was destroyed by fire in 1979. As the number
of parishioners grew to over 2000 families there was a need for
a parish center. Once again the parishioners worked together to
achieve two goals: to build a new parish center and to build a rectory.
In 1990 the new rectory and offices were opened. In 1991 the building
of the Parish Center was completed.
Guided by the Holy Spirit, we strive to grow as a parish in faith,
hope and love.